Wokingham Borough Libraries Newsletter October 2017
What’s on in Wokingham Libraries for Adults
Sign up for our talks at Wokingham Library in October:
- Meredith Towne will be vising us with her costume presentation, Make Do and Mend about women who supported the war effort and managed to maintain a fashionable wardrobe during the First and Second World War, £6 charge- Wednesday October 4, 2.30-4pm
- Kathy Martin will be delivering her postponed talk The Good the Bad and the Unlucky about the origins of our most popular consumer brands £3 charge, Thursday October 5 2pm to 3pm
- Dr Mike Darlison will be presenting his memories of founding the Woosehill medical practice in a talk called So You Want to be a GP! £3 charge- Thursday October 12, 6pm to 7pm.
- Quilling Workshop- Learn quilling techniques and make a fabulous card for Hallowe’en. Tuesday October 10, £2 charge, 10.30am to 12noon
- Walking Book Group– Enjoy the fresh air and a chat at Dinton Pastures, we will be discussing Me Before You By Jojo Moyes, available from the library. Free Event. Wednesday October 11, 10.30am to 12noon
- The Human Factor- a talk with John Harrison about how Ergonomics (aka Human Factors) play a vital role in our complex technological world, £3 charge- Thursday October 26, 5.45pm to 7pm
To book a place at any of these events please call (0118) 9781368
Fun Palace at Wokingham Library on Saturday October 7, 10am to 3pm
Everyone an Artist, Everyone a Scientist! All activities are free, so just drop in and try something new!
- Dad and Baby Rhymetime 10am to 10.30am
- Danger! Custard! with the University of Reading – Just drop in to get messy with Custard Slime and discover how non-Newtonian fluids affect your life. With the University of Reading’s Chemistry Outreach Team. For children aged 4 to 11 years old. 10am to 12noon
- Code Club for children aged 9 to 12 years old 10.15am to 11.45am
- Mighty Lemons Ukulele Band – Listen to some songs then have a go and try out some of the instruments with the Mighty Lemons 11am to 12noon
- Tree of Life workshop for adults with Rachel Freegard – 10am to 1pm
- Library Community Chain Story with our Igniting Writing Group 10am to 1pm
- Origami Cranes – Help us make 1000 paper cranes out of old book pages to start our National Libraries Week celebrations 10am to 1pm
- Quilting Demonstration- Try your hand at quilting with Members of the Berkshire Quilters Guild – 12.30pm to 3pm
What’s On in Wokingham Borough Libraries
Children October Half term 2017
Guide Dogs Morning – Just drop into learn and meet guide dogs and their owners. Take part in some fun activities. Lower Earley Library Monday October 23 10am to 12noon
Children’s Writing Holiday Session– Fun writing course with a scary stories theme, for children aged 9 to 12 years old, £1 charge. Place must be booked. Maiden Erlegh Library Monday October 23 2.30pm to 3.15pm
Mini Professors-Taster Session for children aged 2 to 5 years old, with science based fun on tiny creatures. Free taster from Baby sensory. Please phone to book a place.
- Woodley Library Monday October 23 11am to 11.30am
- Wokingham Library Wednesday October 25 11am to 11.30am
Explore Learning sessions – Free session with Explore Learning, Places must be booked.
- Wokingham Library A day at the zoo Tuesday October 24 9.30am to 10.30am
- Wokingham Library Groovy Grammar Tuesday October 24 10.45am to 11.45am
- Woodley Library Telling the time Wednesday October 25 9.30am to 10.30am
- Woodley Library Space Mission Wednesday October 25 10.45am to 11.45am
- Lower Earley Library Number Bonds Thursday October 26 9.30am to 10.30am
- Lower Earley Library Money Madness Thursday October 26 10.45am to 11.45am
Gruffalo story and craft session- for children aged 8 and under. £1.50 charge, Places must be booked. Maiden Erlegh Library Tuesday October 24 2.30pm to 3.30pm
Outdoor Let’s Explore- A fun and creative session exploring the outdoors and nature with the rangers from Dinton Pastures. For children aged 3 to 8 years old. Free event, Place must be booked.
- Wokingham Library Tuesday October 24 9.30am to 10.15
- Lower Earley Library Tuesday October 24 11am to 11.45am
Baby Sensory-Free taster from Baby sensory, for babies up to 18 months old. Place must be booked.
Wokingham Library Wednesday October 25 10am to 10.30am
Sand Art – Just drop in and create a sand art picture with Kids Bee Happy with Maddi. £4 per picture, For children aged 4 to 11 years old.
- Wokingham Library Wednesday October 25 10.30am to 12.30pm
- Woodley Library Wednesday October 25 2.30pm to 4pm
- Lower Earley Library Friday October 27 10.30am to 12.30pm
Zog Storytime- Zog story and craft session for children aged 8 and under. £1.50 charge, Places must be booked. Maiden Erlegh Library Thursday October 26 2.30pm to 3.30pm
Spooky Get Arty – Just drop in, for children aged 4 to 12 years old. £1.50 charge.
- Woodley Library Thursday October 26 10.30am to 11.30am
- Lower Earley Library Thursday October 26 2pm to 3pm
- Wokingham Library Friday October 27 10.30am to 11.30am
- Maiden Erlegh Library Friday October 27 2.30pm to 3.30pm
Script Writing Workshop— Come along and learn the basics of screen writing. Transform your favourite story into a script. For children aged 8 to 12 years old. £1 charge, Place must be booked. Winnersh Library Friday October 27 1pm to 2pm
Self Service Kiosks in our Libraries
Don’t forget you can save time queuing by using our new self-service kiosks. You can use them to return, renew or borrow books and other items. They are available at the following libraries:- Woodley, Lower Earley, Twyford, Winnersh, Wokingham and Finchampstead. If you would like to use the self service kiosks but need a little help the first time please ask a member of staff and they will be happy to help you.
Why not search our online catalogue from the comfort of your own home to see what’s on offer: http://www.wokingham.gov.uk/libraries