Wokingham Borough Libraries Newsletter for April 2020
At present Wokingham Borough Council has taken the difficult decision to temporarily close all of its libraries. A large number of online library services are still available, including ebooks, enewspapers and audiobooks. While the libraries are closed we have suspended the fines so there is no need to renew/return your books. Please look after the books, until such time as the libraries reopen, then you will be able to return.
Check out the Libraries Blog on https://wokinghamboroughlibraries.wordpress.com/ for different book themed ideas and activities to do at home.
We will also be running the following on our Facebook page and keep checking as we start more activities over the coming weeks : https://www.facebook.com/wokinghamboroughlibraries/
- Online storytime every Tuesday on our Facebook Page – Storytime Facebook post of I am tiger by Karl Newson and Ross Collins click here and Storytime Facebook link for Smelly Peter the Great Pea Eater by Steve Smallman and Joelle Dreidemy
- Rhymetime – a rhyme a week will be coming out on Friday on our Facebook page – Rhyme a week Facebook post click here
- Lego Club weekly challenge – This week’s theme is Space, so submit before April 8 – Lego Club Facebook post click here
- Online Educational Children’s Resources to try at home – Blogpost on Educational Resources for Children
- Children’s Virtual Writing Club – https://wp.me/p5mHbU-4ui
- Children’s Authors and Publishers offering online content from Wokingham Borough Libraries https://wp.me/p5mHbU-4s7
Stay home🏠 Protect the NHS👐 Save lives❤️
Whenever we step foot outside our home, for whatever essential reason, we must observe social distancing.
✅Only go out when absolutely necessary for food, medicine, work or exercise
✅ If you do go out always stay 2 metres apart 🚶🏾♀️↔️🚶🏾♂️
❌ Do NOT meet others outside your household, even friends and family
For more information visit: http://nhs.uk/coronavirus
Reading Well and Mental Health Check out the NHS Every Mind Matters website. It has some useful tips for mental wellbeing while staying at home. There’s a host of advice, support and tools to use. Just visit: http://ow.ly/4dBb30qsCNl
Reading Well Schemes – https://www.wokingham.gov.uk/libraries/reading-schemes-for-children-and-adults/reading-well-schemes-to-improve-health/ Some of the titles are available on eBooks for you to listen to but check out https://reading-well.org.uk/resources/mental-health for more resources.
Did you know you can borrow a range of e-books, e-audio, e-comics newspapers and magazines completely free of charge if you are a library member? Just go to https://www.wokingham.gov.uk/libraries/library-services/e-books/ or download the RB Digital app and use your library card number to create a free account with a username and password.
- Read books on your home computer, smartphone or tablet
- Borrow 6 books at a time for up to 21 days
- Choose from over 2000 books, with new titles added every month
- Listen to audio books on your phone, MP3 player, iPod or computer
- Choose from over 1000 books, with new titles added every month
- No limit on the number of titles you can borrow
- Read graphic novels on your home computer, smartphone or tablet
- Choose from over 1000 titles, including Marvel Comic titles, which can be borrowed for 30 days
E-newspapers and magazines are available via the Press Reader App, please visit: https://www.wokingham.gov.uk/libraries/library-services/e-magazines/ for more information.
The service allows you to:
- Read and download newspapers and magazines on your computer, smartphone or tablet
- Read the current copy of most daily and Sunday newspapers, many local newspapers and a wide selection of magazines
- Access a selection of newspapers and magazines from all over the world
Why not search our online catalogue from the comfort of your own home to see what’s on offer: http://www.wokingham.gov.uk/libraries
You can find more about events in libraries via our email newsletter. You can sign up for this at: http://www.wokingham.gov.uk/contact-us/sign-up-manage-text-and-email-alerts/