Wokingham Borough Libraries Newsletter June 2020
For information on the latest guidance and advice about Coronavirus (COVID-19) please visit https://www.wokingham.gov.uk/health/public-health-campaigns/coronavirus/
At present Wokingham Borough Council has taken the difficult decision to temporarily close all of its libraries.
A large number of online library services are still available, including ebooks, enewspapers and audiobooks. While the libraries are closed we have suspended the fines so there is no need to renew or return your books. Please look after the books, until such time as the libraries reopen, then you will be able to return them
New Digital Services
- Sign up for free library membership by visiting the Spydus website to join our libraries online.
- Freegal Music – Access 15 million songs from thousands of artists. You can download 3 songs per week, and listen to streamed content for up to 3 hours per day. Login to Freegal Music with your barcode and PIN, or download the Freegal Music app from the App Store or Google Play Store, then select your library and log in with your barcode and PIN. Please note: Some of the titles may contain content of a more adult nature. As with all library usage we recommend parents and carers give their child support in choosing appropriate items to match their needs.
- Ancestry Online website – is a family history website with access to census records, births, marriages and deaths records, and much more. Available at Wokingham, Woodley and Lower Earley libraries. Access to this resource has been temporarily expanded to library cardholders working remotely, courtesy of ProQuest and its partner Ancestry. To log in from home, visit the Spydus website
Smashing Activities inspired by Enid Blyton Just view our blog here: https://wordpress.com/post/wokinghamboroughlibraries.wordpress.com/18850
On 9 June, EmpathyLab will be hosting Empathy Day to help everyone understand and experience the power of empathy through books. Scientists say that we can train our brain with stories, as the more we empathise with characters, the more we can understand other people’s feelings. Throughout the day, they’ll be running brilliant online events and fun home-based activities to help children read, connect and act using empathy. Authors, illustrators, schools, libraries, and families across the UK will be taking part and we’d love for you to join in!
We will also be running the following on our Facebook page and keep checking as we start more activities over the coming weeks – https://www.facebook.com/wokinghamboroughlibraries/
- Online Origami Club
- Online storytime every Tuesday on our Facebook Page
- Rhymetime – a rhyme a week will be coming out on Friday on our Facebook page
- Online Writing Club
- Lego Club weekly challenge
Wokingham Libraries Online Book Chat
If you’re looking for book recommendations join our online Book Chat at https://www.facebook.com/groups/934226060371806/?source_id=171172089600164
Find out what’s new and what others are enjoying and add your own comments- we would love to hear from you.
Each month we will be highlighting a different artist for you to explore, then design and create your own Masterpiece! Just visit https://wp.me/p5mHbU-4ZY to find out more.
E-Services – Did you know you can borrow a range of e-books, e-audio, e-comics newspapers and magazines completely free of charge if you are a library member? Just go to https://www.wokingham.gov.uk/libraries/library-services/e-books/ or download the RB Digital app and use your library card number to create a free account with a username and password.
Press Reader –E-newspapers and magazines are available via the Press Reader App, please visit: https://www.wokingham.gov.uk/libraries/library-services/e-magazines/ for more information.
The service allows you to:
- Read and download newspapers and magazines on your computer, smartphone or tablet
- Read the current copy of most daily and Sunday newspapers, many local newspapers and a wide selection of magazines
- Access a selection of newspapers and magazines from all over the world
Why not search our online catalogue from the comfort of your own home to see what’s on offer: http://www.wokingham.gov.uk/libraries
You can find more about events in libraries via our email newsletter. You can sign up for this at: http://www.wokingham.gov.uk/contact-us/sign-up-manage-text-and-email-alerts/. Or alternatively download this publication at: http://www.wokingham.gov.uk/libraries/find-and-join-a-library/