The 1st Charvil Brownies visited Twyford Library on Thursday June 11.
The Brownies heard a talk about the library, what we do and what can be borrowed, how to care and look after books, along with sharing book reviews and book recommendations. They listened to stories, poems and created there own creature themed kennings. Books were brought back and new book chosen and taken away to read.
The Brownies favourite reads were: David Walliams, Enid Blyton, Rainbow Fairies and The Dork Diaries series. Some of the authors recommended where Philip Ardargh’s The Grunt’s series, Alex T Smith’s Claude series, Dog Ears by Anne Booth and The World of Norm by Jonathan Meres.
Some of the Brownies were doing their Booklovers badge, As part of the Brownies Booklovers badge, they had to:
- Make a list of four books that you have enjoyed. Discuss them with the librarian.
- With the librarian choose two more books by different authors. When you have finished them, talk with the tester about them.
- Show that you can care for a book, for example how to: use a book sleeve or place and remove a book or from a shelf or store books.
- Make a bookmark for a friend or relative.
- Show how to use a reference book, including the contents and index.
- Know where your local library is and its opening times. Make a poster showing some of the things you can borrow from the library.
It was fantastic to see the Brownies enjoying and sharing the books they had found.