The Wellcome Book Prize longlist for 2018 has been announced, celebrating the many ways in which literature can illuminate the breadth and depth of our relationship with health, medicine and illness.
The longlist of twelve titles was chosen by a judging panel chaired by artist and writer Edmund de Waal OBE, with Dr Hannah Critchlow, Bryony Gordon, Sumit Paul-Choudhury and Sophie Ratcliffe.
The titles are:
- Stay With Me by Ayobami Adebayo
- The Butchering Art: Joseph Lister’s quest to transform the grisly world of Victorian medicine by Lindsey Fitzharris
- In Pursuit of Memory: the fight against Alzheimer’s by Joseph Jebelli
- Plot 29: a memoir by Allan Jenkins
- The White Book by Han Kang
- With the End in Mind: Dying, death and wisdom in an age of denial by Kathryn Mannix
- Midwinter Break by Bernard MacLaverty
- To Be a Machine: Adventures among cyborgs, utopians, hackers, and the futurists solving the modest problem of death by Mark O’Connell
- I Am, I Am, I Am: Seventeen brushes with death by Maggie O’Farrell
- Mayhem: A memoir by Sigrid Rausing
- Behave: The biology of humans at our best and worst by Robert Sapolsky
- The Vaccine Race: How scientists used human cells to combat killer viruses by Meredith Wadman
Three of the novels are about the different stages of love, life, birth and death. The three memoirs look at the impact of addiction, trauma and near-death experiences. Death and mortality are explored through palliative care workers and an attempt to find a cure for Alzheimer’s disease. The list includes the science of our cells to the science of our minds, and looks to the history and the future of medical science.
The shortlist for the prize will be anounced on Tuesday 20 March, with the winner revealed on Monday 30 April at the Wellcome Collection in London.
All these titles are available to reserve from Wokingham Borough Libraries. To order your copy, pop into any branch, or visit the libraries website http://www.wokingham.gov.uk/libraries/library-services/search-renew-and-reserve-items/